Ways in which I am turning into my mother or
Ways in which I am now middle aged and boring
1. This morning I took 2 children (other than my own) to the movies to see Mr Poppers Penguins. To anyone there I would have looked like a mother, with kids, in school holidays. Standard. It will never fail to make me laugh that that is now the case. I still feel very much like the kid being dragged to the movies not the Mum screaming at the kids to “Hurry up! Sit still! Shhhh! Hold the popcorn, no don’t drop the popcorn on the floor! Yes, I’ll pick it up from the floor. Hang on!” To make myself feel better I sang every lyric to Ice Ice Baby at the conclusion of the film. And danced badly. There may have been some stomping action in our aisle. Ah huh. If I’m going to be a mother, yes indeedy I will be that mother.
2. My Mum is heading to Adelaide this weekend for her friend’s 60th birthday which is no big deal except for the fact that I swear it wasn’t that long ago that we were heading over there for her 40th birthday. I remember it well, that birthday, it was a trip with just Mum and I, we flew over and I got my period for the very first time when we were there. How could I forget that? So that means I have been getting my period for 20 YEARS. That’s 240 times – perhaps a little less given pregnancies etc – but whatevs…20 YEARS. Oh hormones, what a tricky flatmate you have been to live with over the years, particularly these past few post children, here’s to 20 more right?! Happy period Birthday to me!
3. It’s cold here at the moment. Really cold. And I can feel it. In my knees.
4. I find myself going to nurseries to buy Potted colour for my verandah.
5. I write blog posts about lamps. Placement of lamps. Importance of lamps. And just to piss off anon who said “o god! Get a life!!!” I am going to write a follow up post on lamps and then another post on lamps when my new lamp arrives because this is actually my life, it’s a pretty damn good life, and if you want to read about something more important than lamps (is there such a thing?) then they should go elsewhere. Thankyouverymuch.
6. I write things like “you should go elsewhere thankyouverymuch”.